Friday, February 5, 2010

Education?

Remember that CNN special that aired last year called "Black in America"? My husband and I watched it. I thought it was great. I was really fascinated by these charter high schools. One was Steve Perry's school in Connecticut. Another was a charter school in Harlem. Both were dedicated to providing hope to these underprivileged kids. The schools were dedicated to educating them to the fullest extent from kindergarten to college.

What fascinated me and saddened me at the same time is that these were special cases...exceptions to the rule. They were noteworthy enough to make CNN's special. What about the rest of society? What about the public school down the street?

During the days I was watching this series, I was reading Helen Keller's autobiography called "My Life". Do you know that she studied Latin, French and German by age 10. Do I have to tell you that she was deaf, dumb and blind?

Wow, did I feel like a loser. And did I feel robbed! What has happened to education in the United States of America since the days of Helen Keller? Illiteracy after graduation is a problem here. Why have our standards been lowered and what can we do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment